English is offered to all students within the School usually for more than one lesson per week.
- Teaching is provided by qualified Tutors. Lessons are delivered through Q&A, directed study, online videos, and other interactive student activities. The overall aim is to provide an opportunity for every student to be able to gain a suitable English qualification at the right level appropriate to their abilities at either GCSE level or Entry level. Students are continually monitored and assessed to ensure the appropriate stretch and challenge for the more able students as well as 1:1 support for students requiring literacy support.
KS3 Years 7,8 and 9: Please see attached curriculum plans for Key Stage 3
KS3 Entry Level Certificate: Edexcel Functional Skills Qualification in English at Entry Level 1,2 and 3
Entry Level students are encouraged to develop the skills they need to read and understand a range of texts as well as to write clearly, coherently and accurately using a range of vocabulary and sentence structures.
- The qualification can be tailored to students’ needs through entry level 1, 2 and 3.
KS4 English Language Edexcel IGCSE
The International Edexcel specification develops the reading, understanding and analysis of a wide range of texts and genres. Knowledge gained from this reading is used to inform and improve writing skills by looking at the use of Standard English, correct grammar and accurate spelling and punctuation. We aim to make the texts accessible to all students whilst encouraging learners to develop clear and coherent writing.
Assessment: For the award of the GCSE in English Language students must complete three assessments:
- Component 1 – Written examination testing reading of unseen and pre- release material and non-fiction writing.
- Component 2 – Two pieces of internally assessed coursework as follows:
Prose and poetry: an analysis of two poems or short stories
Imaginative fictional writing:
Mock exams are completed in the Autumn and Spring terms.
KS4 English Literature Edexcel IGCSE
- Component 1 – Written examination on a modern novel Of Mice and Men
- Component 2 –Two pieces of internally assessed coursework as follows;
An Inspector Calls: An essay exploring one of the characters ot themes
Macbeth: An essay exploring themes and context
At KS4, students work towards nationally recognised certification.
Edexcel Functional Skills (Levels 1 and 2). These courses equip learners with the practical skills needed to live, learn and work successfully. They are a mandatory part of all Apprenticeship frameworks in England.
Edexcel Awards in English are stand-alone qualifications designed to help students build their confidence and skills in different areas of English. Where students join the Tutorial Foundation for a fixed period of time, the Edexcel Awards are a valid way to recognise their progress in English before re-joining mainstream school.
Lucy Bowdery (email@example.com)